Steamer No.10 Theatre, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt professional theatre producing and presenting shows for children and families, and touring to schools and theatres throughout the Northeast.
Located in Albany, NY Steamer No. 10 Theatre presents a variety of live stage and music productions, including children’s theater, Eclectic Performance Series, Vacation Daze, Theater Voices, and Too Deep Entertainment.
“We want to get children, adults, teachers, grandparents…everyone…excited about theatre and the performing arts. Everyone should attend live performances with a burning desire to see more.”
We do not have any auditions scheduled at this time.
Kids Fare – late August – Pippi Longstocking
CAST – late August/early September – A Comedy of Errors
Steamer No.10 is holding a Finish the Castle Fundraiser on Sunday, May 31 from 4:pm to 6:pm at the Point – 1100 Madison Avenue, Albany. Please join us for this event.
Help us meet The CHALLENGE!
Never judge a Book by its Cover – But we have a tired looking cover of weather-beaten Tyvek. To make our exterior reflect the quality and cultural quantity of the performances taking place at the theatre, we have embarked on a Capital Campaign. Now, Steamer No.10 has been given a CHALLENGE! If we raise $50,000 we will be given an additional $50,000. We are currently one-third of the way to reaching our goal having raised $17,000 of the match. We must do this.
Put Your Name on a Seat
For a contribution of $250, you can buy a seat at Steamer No.10, and place your name on it, or contribute in honor of a loved one. You have up to 32 characters (including spaces) and a maximum of two lines.
Finish the Castle
Steamer No.10 Theatre spent its first century as a working firehouse and the past two and a half decades as the Capital Region’s Children’s Theatre. Our goal is to continue to serve our audience of kids, parents, grandparents, adults, seniors, and neighbors.
Why we need the Castle
- Create a Lobby for the comfort of our Patrons waiting for a show;
- Improved handicapped accessibility;
- Improve lighting for the entrance;
- Improve the ability of audience to find the theatre – a distinctive entrance to serve as landmark – our Castle;
- Get our Audience in out of the wind, rain, and snow.
- Better signage to help the audience find us, and let everyone know what shows are taking place;
- Additional space for classes and meetings.
The Plan – A Capital Campaign of $300,0001. Brickwork and Permanent Roof, Windows & Doors 2. Finish: Interior, new Concession Exterior Landscaping & railings 3. Update Theatrical Systems – Replace the 20 year-old (failing) theatrical lighting system, upgrade other systems 4. Air Condition the theatre – we currently use noisy window units – we have already installed 75% of a built-in system.
Name the Castle
We have numerous naming opportunities for portions of the Castle such as the towers, drawbridge, etc.. Contribute a significant portion of the total Campaign and we will Name the Castle for you.
Our Mission and How We Achieve It
We want to get children, adults, teachers, grandparents…everyone…excited about theatre and the arts. Everyone should attend live performances with a burning desire to see more.
Steamer No.10 Theatre, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt professional theatre creating shows for children and families. We produce nine shows each year, with an emphasis on fairy tales, children’s literature and local history, reaching 12,000 to 14,000 people annually.
We have been dubbed the mad scientists of children’s theatre. We rely on audience participation, so no two shows are ever the same and we never know what will happen at any given performance. We take risks, but it’s worth it. That ‘expect the unexpected’ atmosphere is what makes us unique and enjoyable for parents and children alike. In the process we are getting the next generation hooked on the performing arts.
Steamer No.10 Theatre, Inc. is a small, 501 (c) 3 non-profit corporation. We have a full time staff of one, and 5-7 part-time actors, teachers, directors, designers, whatever job needs doing. We earn more than 65% of our $200,000 budget; however we still need to raise that other $70,000. Please become a member of the Steamer No.10 family as we move on toward a fantastic season of family oriented cultural entertainment.
We have launched our 2013 – 2014 season and here is an overview of what we have planned:
- six family oriented productions using professional actors are planned for 60 to 70 performances;
- we’re bringing in fifteen different artists for kids with our Vacation Daze series for 35 to 40 performances;
- we host Theater Voices for free staged readings of four shows for 16 performances;
- and the Eclectic Series will feature at least 10 different artists who will both entertain and challenge our adult audience.
- our theatre arts school – C.A.S.T. – Creative Arts at Steamer Ten – offers classes and produces shows for students 8-18. This year we will produce three C.A.S.T. shows – produced entirely by students, plus three C.A.S.T./Kids Fare shows where students work with professional actors.
This past year we offered more than 150 performances, 400 classes/rehearsals with our students, community meetings, a day-long street fair to promote the neighborhood and other events. We don’t simply pinch pennies, we make sure every one of them is spent in a way that serves our mission of introducing children and families to live theatre.
Steamer No.10 is the Capital Region’s Children’s Theatre, the place where kids are introduced to the performing arts. Please become a member of the Steamer No.10 family as we move toward a fantastic season of family oriented cultural entertainment.